5. Salt Lick in Driftwood. BYOB (since Driftwood is a dry county — doesn’t sell alcohol in the county). It’s a drive out there — so if you’re going to drive, I think Smitty’s is better. Plus, you can pick some up in the airport as you’re heading out. It’s a pretty cool atmosphere on a warm Texas night.
– El Naranjo – great interior Mexican on Rainey Street. Well done interior, and I’m a huge fan of the Tres Leches in the jar.
– Curra’s on Oltorf – Mexican/Tex Mex. Corn tortillas are made fresh here. A favorite spot of the locals.
- Walk down “dirty” 6th street on Friday/Saturday night after 11 PM as it’s neat to see the closed off streets, but drink somewhere else
- 4th Street or West 6th are for the professional crowd (can be dressy)
- Rainey Street is a bit more casual
- East 6th (East of I35) is hipster central.
- Draught House or Black Star Co-op are more chill locations North-Central